Saturday, May 26, 2007

Unfounded Questions

I went for the Inter-School NUS Geog Challenge today, with Isaac, Job, Johnny and Kev Low. I knew the paper was going to be 30 minutes, 30 questions and that, based on the papers from the previous years, I wouldn't have done too badly. I was expecting like maybe 22 or 23 out of 30.

But it was hard. I'm only sure of fifteen of the thirty questions. The real reason why it was hard was because it was RANDOM. The questions seemed to have come up from all kinds of weird sources. Here are a few examples that I knew how to do:

Which of these rivers is not found in Europe? Danube / Po / Rhine / Volta / something else that I can't remember
Which of these people did not propose a classic town planning model? Burgess / Ullman & Harris / McGee / Hoyt / none of the above
Country X is landlocked, shares a border with Thailand on the Mekong River and is rich in natural resources. What is X? Vietnam / Laos / China / India / Cambodia
Which person supported pro-natalist policies despite putting forth this theory that eventually population growth would exceed agricultural development?
And some that I couldn't:
Which of these is not a warm ocean current? Gulf Stream / North Atlantic Drift / Kuroshio Current / Canary Current / something else I can't remember
Which of these countries does the prime meridian pass through? Suriname / Spain / India / (other options I can't remember)
Which of the following is the best definition of enclave tourism?
The group question was even worse, having something to do with how we would develop Marina Bay. We had to write a report in 30 minutes and by the time we actually started, we had just 19 minutes to finish.

I still have one question I would like to ask Ms Sandra Sim when we get back to school; why wasn't Russell on the team? (I wonder HOW she selected these teams in the first place >_>)

Must post abt CmPS later.
Bye.
JK