Sunday, April 20, 2008

when the tears fall.

today, i got somewhat angry with someone over the phone.

usually, when people (including myself) get angry with people, typically there is some kind of a reason. it can be what i think is a reasonable reason (e.g. the person stole something from you), an unreasonable reason (e.g. i don't like his face) and, of course, there are countless possibilities between the two extrema.

now. here lies the problem. i got angry with the person over what i believed to be an irresponsibility on his part, and as far as that is concerned i believe that my "scolding" was justified, for two reasons - firstly, because it was an attempt to reduce the incidence of such things, and secondly, because i felt i would feel better opening up than not doing so. i know that when i become angry i have a habit of taking a 'just whack' attitude, which can be very dangerous. consequently, i also knew that i had to temper my anger somewhat because it rarely happens, with this person in particular, and also because he is a reasonably good friend to me, and a single incident like this is not worth staking and/or losing a friendship for.

so as far as the scolding is concerned i think things are ok, and yeah. its pretty much settled.

but. another question arises out of this.

i know ive probably expressed this emotion somewhere or another, here or in normal conversation or in writing elsewhere. but is it right for one to admonish, to scold another if one himself is guilty of the same flaw? to inform i think is ok. but to scold?

naturally this makes me think of the Bible - if one has a plank in his own eye, he should not comment with regards to the speck of sawdust in another's eye. so for the example used above, the 'flaw' is irresponsibility. am i responsible? probably not very. somewhat. but not very.

then again, how do we draw the boundary lines? do we base it on what others do? (appeal to common practice?!) or on what we feel is right? or what?

---

econs video finals was over. yeah and expected my team got 6th. the 2.5 hours of effort or so that we put in is probably way less than the other groups (notably Louis's donuts and the Survivor one) and our group just cleared it as 'another piece of homework'... oh well. the other videos were good though. inflation in zimbabwe was good; donuts was good; big store vs small stores, the winning one, i felt wasn't as strong in editing and postprocessing, but had good actors and a nice concept. organic food was a reasonably good topic, and survivor was... interesting, if anything. $8 does have its uses i guess.

for the quiz got tied 1st though. yays! reminded me of world scholar's cup. oh the adrenaline rush of answering MCQ in short time limits. and got a lot of toblerone which i guess i'll be bringing around and sharing over the course of monday.

bingei and luke sang a song on economics. and they were good, especially luke. my congrats go out to them, both for skill as well as for daring to take on this kind of task. seriously singing r&b songs on economics is... a bit weird.

---

this is a beautiful song i've found over the weekend. i think it is quite applicable to me, as well as to many other Christians out there...

I've had questions without answers
I've known sorrow, I have known pain
But there's one thing that I cling to
You are faithful, Jesus You're true

When hope is lost, I call You Saviour
When pain surrounds, I call You Healer
When silence falls, You'll be the song within my heart

In the lone hour of my sorrow
Through the darkest night of my soul
You surround me, You sustain me
My defender for ever more

When hope is lost, I call You Saviour
When pain surrounds, I call You Healer
When silence falls, You'll be the song within my heart

And I will praise You, I will praise You
When the tears fall, still I will sing to You
I will praise You, Jesus praise You
Through the suffering, still I will sing to You

When hope is lost, I call You Saviour
When pain surrounds, I call You Healer
When silence falls, You'll be the song within my heart

I will praise You, I will praise You
When the tears fall, still I will sing to you
I will praise You, Jesus I will praise You
Through the suffering, still I will sing to you

When the laughter fails to comfort
When my heart aches, Lord You'll be there
When confusion is all around me
And the darkness is my closest friend
Still I'll praise You
Jesus, I'll praise You
.
- "When the Tears Fall", Tim Hughes.

jk.

No comments: