Friday, October 10, 2008

fall

post exam, crash period again.

adrenalin levels low, cannot do work, CAS documentation, Econs Commentary, Extended Essay work and datacollection, etcetera.

grrr =(

---

The past few days have been spent in a way different from what I'm normally used to; in fact, in some way the Physics Olympiad training sessions have been essentially keeping some sense of order and drive in the day. Because of these sessions, I don't sleep TOO late (2 am max).

Today was very unusual though. Normally, I notice I have more problems with figuring out which equations to apply, rather than calculating and simplifying data once said equations are found. I couldn't do basic division for nuts today...

n1 + n2 = 37/25 = n3 + n4
(some working later)
hence 12n1*17 = 5n4
n4 = 12*17/5n1

(cancellation)
hence 12n1*17 = 5n4
n4 = 5/(12*17) n1

(noticed i missed out some division earlier)
hence 12n1 = 5n4
n1 = 12/5n4

(finally)
n1 = 5/12n4

seriously. 4 tries to get some rather easy question right...

Thermodynamics isn't really my kind of physics topic though I guess I'm fine with it.

I was rather light-headed today when I went for lunch. Probably the physics, as well as a book I bought yesterday from Kino called 'Killer Sudoku: Vol 4'. Like regular sudoku except there are no numbers in the grid, but there are various shapes marked out on the grid in which we know the total. Consequently, it ends up becoming a Kakuro-Sudoku hybrid, both of which I've done individually though not together. It was very interesting though, even though I failed the par time by 22 sec on the first puzzle I did. Good thing is, 4th puzzle (par time 16:00) took just 7:59. I feel quite good about THAT one.

---

For some reason, I thought of a rather strange math question:

Three bullets are fired out such that the smallest angle between any 2 of the bullets is 120 degrees. After reaching a distance 10 cm from the origin, the bullets start to undergo motion in a planar circle with constant angular velocity 0.1 degree s-1.

a) If the radius of this “circle” doubles after each revolution, increasing uniformly relative to an expression in terms of the radius of the existing circle, show clearly that the rate of change of distance from the origin is given by

dx/dt=lg2/45 * 2^(t/3600 - 3)
b) Suppose one of the bullets is fired due east, show that the bullet's position relative to the origin may be defined by the parametric equations
x= 10 cos (t/Q)
y = 10 sin (t/Q)
Hence or otherwise solve the value of Q.
There was a part c that wasn't finished as at time of writing...

---

jk.

No comments: