Tuesday, August 21, 2007

picking up the pieces.

Today was my IHS presentation. I guess I did fine, though like Daniel predicted I did speak too fast. Still, Mr Jarett Kan said it was good and Juzzie said it was rather 'professional', so I don't think I did too bad of a job. David's question was very apt (thanks!) and gave me some more explaining time. I guess the rehearsing yesterday night actually paid off as well, since I did about 4 trial runs total before the actual thing, with times of 5:02, 4:45, 4:12 (this was BAD) and 4:55.

We also got back a couple of coursework results, and I must say that I'm very disappointed, actually. Getting 95 for Chem did boost my spirits, as did 87 for IHS, but I got like 3rd lowest in class for geog (67). Interestingly, it seems that perhaps the less work you do the better you do? Or at least, it seems to have applied for this term. Chem was 1 morning's work, IHS was 1 day's work and Geog was 3 days total work. And the marks just have to come back THIS way.

In a way, it's a good thing though. Shaun has a pretty clear path to the top in level now, unless the AM paper at EOY is freakishly hard, or I pull out some 95+ score for Comp Studies, and hence I can relax as both of the events are pretty much out of my control. also, it's 'cause my Geog (67) is definitely no match for his Bio (90). Same thing as mid year - my geog, top in level, is (79) but his bio is way more than that. I also need to watch my Physics, for I need to make sure I finish with at least seventy such that I can do Physics safely, and possibly even Physics HL in Yrs 5-6. I'll do Chem and Math HL, but I don't know if I should do Econs or Physics at HL.

I'll admit that actually I am not really deserving of being a 'top student', at least compared against Shaun. Edward noticed that my bag and schoolwork were 'disorganised' on Monday, I probably pay attention in more lessons than most people but still, on an absolute level, not many, and there are subjects which still fail me (LA, Geog, Chinese). However, I think I have decided or realised that there are many other goals to pursue that would be more fulfilling for me. Character development, leadership development, and my relationships with friends, teachers, officers and especially God are more important.

This leaves me with much to think about that I cannot express in words, and yep, I think I shouldn't.

jk

No comments: