Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Depended and The Dependent

Life often brings about lots of ambiguities, which often make me uncertain...

Over the past 2 days, I'd had 2 rather "tough" conversations with 2 close friends on a certain variety of issues. In one of them, I could consider myself the listener, the depended; listening to the other as he talked his perspective with regard to several things, mainly personal value out; yet, in the other, I was the talker, the complainer - essentially, the dependent, as I tried to search for some kind of security or support to grasp on to from the uncertainties of life - seeking a friend's perspective on myself both on a general as well as on a focused basis - as a friend, and as a Primer.

I think I'll end here. I don't want to go into too personal details, this being a public space and all. I wonder though - though I'm willing to listen to the stresses and complaints of friends, how much of this stress do I end up passing back to my friends (as a collective group)?

I've got to be thankful I have friends who don't mind listening to me even when I can be somewhat irrational at times. Interestingly, I am fine with listening to emo thoughts and rants. I've got to thank the 2 people whom I had the conversations with - they were somewhat "searching" experiences for me that have probably helped me along. Thanks! =)

"A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."
Proverbs 18:24 (thanks, Russell, for pointing this out!)

So basically, choose your close friends carefully - for they can, and will, have a large impact on your life. Having loads of acquaintances is well and fine I think - good for networking purposes - but ultimately, don't be so caught up in networking that you neglect to develop several stronger relationships.

jk.

No comments: