Wednesday, April 23, 2008

wednesdays.

I'm not particularly looking forward to my schedule on Wednesdays from now on, it seems.

0730 - 1440 School
[the problem is, on week B, this ends with 8 periods of Maths. Week A is better, but there will always be the looming task of a physics IA.]

1500 - 1700 Physics Olympiad Training
[total brain damage. form radial equations for the motion of snails! rawr]

1930 - 2130 Chinese Tuition
[i guess it's ok. but, especially on week Bs like today, my brain is totally fried.]

2150ish Call
[this is about just when i reach home! nice yes, but we're usually both tired out.]

---

Mock IOP is over. I guess I could have done better. My marks are fine, quite good I thought especially for such a rushed presentation, but leave something to be desired still. Highest in class (so far), tied with Carren, so I guess I can't complain too much. It's 4-7-8-4-23 (out of 30). Looks like I have to work on criterion B (duh), trying to push that to an 8 first. THEN go for the extreme band marks. To quote Mr Brian Ng when I asked him how a 23 is - "It's decent, but for your standard it's not good enough. You should be aiming for about, maybe, 27." Scary stuff.

I have to agree with this in part - at least to the extent that different people should set different targets for themselves, and respond differently to the same marks.

Firstly, to quote a friend of mine, "I got a 59 (out of 60, for a Math test). It sucks." To some of us, him included, given the difficulty of the test paper and the like, I think we would easily expect 60s, hence making us disappointed with a 59 (largely because the reasons for the loss of 1 mark are careless in nature). Yet, I'm sure that there would be many people who would be more than willing to take a 59, and receive it with joy.

Another example can be found on an acquaintance's blog - "only getting a MEASLY 22/30 (for IOP) which was pretty disappointing for me." Bearing in mind that Adwyn did mention that he was considering an English EE on his blog, I would guess that it's reasonable for him to think that 22 would be bad - especially in this case, quite a few people would be disappointed with a 22 - more so than the Math Test case. Then again, I don't think I'd be too unhappy with a 22, though I wouldn't be satisfied either...

But yep. I agree that different people should set different targets for themselves, and respond differently to the same marks.

---

The LKY interview yesterday was surprisingly relaxed. I talked much and was queried much about World Scholar's Cup, the merits of the IB programme, and computer studies. Interestingly, they asked me about the NUS Singapore International Math Challenge, a mathematics competition in which one section is mathematical modelling! (IB IA-style, except much crazier, from what I see)

Not too much to say, other than I had to wait quite a bit. I was 2nd after the tea break though. Hopefully that was a good thing...

---

Many thoughts on my mind right now, and my brain is quite fried too.

jk.

No comments: