Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rise and Fall

The quasi-holidays is drawing to a close, and the past few weeks have really been a rush.

After the Scholar's Cup, I focused on rushing my IOP Essay on Lu Xun's A Madman's Diary and Medicine. Following that, I did some math planning and then came other stuff like the Primer's Standby. Admittedly I slacked somewhat, stoning around on my bed or wherever.

The final week came, and I started mugging. My work efficiency has dropped significantly - Computer Science took me like 2-3x as long to learn compared to previous occasions, and this morning as I did a past year Mathematics paper, I had lots of problems; after clearing many of them I was left staring at a matrix question for 10 minutes not seeing that I misplaced a minus sign halfway through the equation. Physics hasn't seen much action recently, especially on the later topics, and Economics hasn't been touched at ALL.

I take a lot more breaks nowadays though, which depending on the way you see it can be both a good or bad thing. But I think I need it for my mental health. Previously, I'd work 2 hours and take breaks for 15 minutes. Now, it's more like 1 hour 30 work, 45 min break or even more.

I listened to Danzai no Hana ~ Guilty Sky recently. The lyrics were good stuff. Or, at least, the English translation that I saw. (not the English version; that one is in my opinion bad)

I met Russell for lunch at Novena yesterday; it was the longest lunch I'll probably have for quite a while (just under 2 hours; my usual lunches are like 15 minutes). It was a good experience, as I rarely ever get to just sit down and talk about a wide variety of issues, ranging from sensitive to umm... "normal"-ish, one-on-one with a friend. In school the recesses are hardly long enough (50 ish minutes after deducting the usual "frictional" time wasted); and for that matter, it's rare that I meet just 1 person in the SAC for lunch, and even then sooner or later someone will come along and join (not that this is a bad thing; it's just that when you want privacy, the SAC is not the place). Admittedly, I was a bit concerned that the arrangement might be somewhat inconvenient (he has to change train), but he said that if it's to meet a person it's ok, so I guess it should be fine.

analog data refers to data incoming in a continuous stream, typically of a sinusoidal nature. it is often found when measuring realworld phenomena such as temperature, light intensity, sounds, etcetera. conversely digital data refers to data separatable into discrete units. since computers work on a binary-based system, they necessarily can only store discrete units of data. hence analog data must be converted via an A-D converter before being stored and processed by a computer.

realworld phenomena includes life?

*sigh*
keep mugging jk, you can still finish mugging all subjects...

No comments: