Sunday, August 03, 2008

End of Night ~ Border Distortion

Yesterday was one of the most draining parades I think I'll go through in my life as a BB Primer.

As a Primer, on one hand I do bear some kind of responsibility to my peers, in the sense that I'm supposed to be an example to them. It was this reasoning, coupled with the fact that I believe that elementary levels of character in certain respects should be consistently demonstrated, that made me carry out the course of action I selected in the end. However, I do know the risks inherent in following this path; namely, possibly risking relationships with several of the other Primers, as well as creating an increased level of workload (yet, I believe this remains necessary). Hence making this decision, and following the course of action that I took was not easy; but somehow, before parade started, I really felt compelled, for some reason or another, to pursue these actions.

In the declaration that the Primers made during the Enrolment Service, the phrase "be shining examples to the Boys" was mentioned. Personally, I believe that this idea of "shining examples" shouldn't only be shown to those under us, year 2 or not, but also among ourselves and even to our officers. Naturally irresponsibility plays little of a role if we try and act as "shining examples"... Of course, we can't be serious all of the time, something which I'm trying to learn. However, I do believe that there are some elements of responsibility and discipline that should not be compromised.

I think I've really had enough of the headaches for now. Had a good talk with Mr Allan Lee today on this. I'll try and think through some of these issues, but not now.

No comments: