Monday, December 29, 2008

wisps of air

The holidays are coming to a close, and I guess I've finished my TOK and EE first drafts, which is fine. I'm still rather pissed with myself at being unable to accomplish reading more of next year's texts (namely, Paddy Clarke and Miss Julie... which is actually this year's but I haven't read it!) and also develop some other skills and interests, like playing the piano or the guitar (yes, I do both, though I personally am rather inept at either of them).

My SAT scores have returned; they're decent-good, not particularly great yet not worth complaining too much about either. Daniel Yee outscored me (by 20; not much to say), and I think Hui Jun did (7xx for all 3 categories implies a range of 2100 to 2370; given that Mathematics is likely on the high end, Reading as well, we're looking at maybe a high 22xx?).

I've been going out a bit more the past few days, since I finished off my TOK essay; first with Russell and then with Shaun, Shaun and Hui Jun. It's been a good way to release some stress, though in notably different ways...

Apparently Jayne might be switching out of my class next year. As far as this is concerned, I guess I can say that I'm rather fortunate to be in pt 14; I wouldn't swap it for any of the other classes given the option. True, it might seem that many of my closer friends are in actuality from the other classes (13/15/16?); yet, pt 14 seems to be a nice environment. I guess not sharing classes with friends can be a good thing in a different way as well...

For the duration of this Christmas season, I've tried to avoid using the greeting "Merry Christmas"; and as far as I'm concerned my avoidance seems to have been fairly successful. For some reason, the word "Merry" seems to bear a negative connotation from my perspective; it seems to lack an element of reflection or sobriety that appears appropriate for the birthday of Jesus Christ. True, joy should quite definitely be a part in celebrating such an occasion; yet, senseless joy at the abandon of sobriety appears questionable.

jk.

No comments: