Thursday, November 29, 2007

2008.

perhaps i should get started?
i don't feel like -.-

the books from top down:
1. shakespeare's King Lear. its under detailed study. i guess im quite ok with shakespearean(sp?) tragedies. so i dont think it'll be too bad. but im scared about english a1 anyway. so many books...

2. august strindberg's Miss Julie. apparently this one is supposedly unlikely to come out. and the book is so thin. well i haven't read it, but it's the unabridged version. so if they need to abridge the book to some readers, the book is probably hard. maybe it's short but difficult like barnard's persimmon tree.

3. salman rushdie's East, West. we already did Good Advice is Rarer than Rubies this year, and i suck at it (the only essay i wrote on it, i got 16/25). which means im not looking forward to doing this. i just cant seem to write very well about postcolonial literature. i also dont like writing about short stories. add together = bad.

4. Hedda Gabler. i haven't read so i won't know.

5. euripides' Medea. same as 4. interestingly, i've heard the author's name before in one of the Horrible History series...

6. The House of Bernarda Alba. See 4.

7. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I'm not looking forward to analyzing this...

8. Siddhartha. i dont know why. but the title seems somewhat interesting. i havent looked inside the book yet, but the name seems to remind me of Buddhism (the Buddha's name was Siddhartha Gautama, right?)

9. Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha. Weird title. I guess I'll have to read it before I form much of an impression of a book like this, though admittedly I have a starting negative impression.

10. Mother Courage and Her Children. Something tells me I've read part of this before; the name is very familiar. as again, haven't read. much like 4.

11. Selected Stories of Lu Xun. I'm actually sort of looking forward to this one, cause a few of the stories match the ones in the book Mdm Loo gave the hcl students; furthermore i did a book report for yr4hcl on 'yi jian xiao shi'.

12. No Other City: the Ethos Anthology of Urban Poetry. I generally prefer poetry to prose, but generally I have trouble appreciating local literature for some reason. This is Singaporean poetry; I won't have much of an idea of what to expect.

13. Computer Science, Java Enabled. I'm not even sure if I'm taking the subject next year... hopefully I am allowed to take seven. Then, Comp Science serves as a block in case my Chem or Phys fails to yield a 7.

14. IB Theory of Knowledge. I've read this before in the IB reference section in the library. It's a pretty decent book and was somewhat interesting to read... but. many skills in pod and (hopefully) extending to tok need to be developed on an individual basis... it seems very hard to 'teach' tok.

15. Economics Course Companion. Not much to do; just dig in and see if I want to try HL or not.

16. Sixth Edition Physics. I already have Hewitt's Conceptual Physics but I'll see what's in this book. Hopefully I can continue to score in Physics next year; surprisingly it's the only subject which I managed to score 4-in-a-row tops (I'm not getting a math prize this year, but Mr Jason Chan told me I topped Phys).

17. English A1 Course Companion. I haven't read this but will very soon. I don't want to be getting anything worse than a six for English A1.

disturbing silence that i can't break

jk

No comments: