Sunday, August 12, 2007

A Parade to Remember

...And we'll march on in the power of His Spirit
We'll be sure, and steadfast as we worship at His feet
We'll be one in vision, one in Christ together on our knees
One in vision, one in Christ, for all the world to see
-- "One in Vision, One in Christ", BB 12th Company Theme Song

Yesterday marked the end of a year as being admin in the BB. For me, it was one of the more memorable parades I've ever had. Over the 3 1/2 years or so, there have been (approximately) 140 parades that I've attended - but what were these for? I would say that the BB has developed me as a person to some extent.

It's rather interesting, how quickly the admin term seems to have passed. Granted, being a juniors NCO was a fairly 'slack' position, you could call it (about 2.5 hrs per week instead of 6-7), and the rest of my life has generally been hectic, but still... it seems very fast.

My relationship with the BB as a unit has changed over the years. I used to not like the idea of uniformed groups when I was in sec 1, but after seeing the benefits, my idea has, well... changed. As for the reasons, I am not sure, but possible answers would include the sense (somewhat) of unity that has been developed through going through hardships together, or that I may have matured somewhat.

Now, the question this leads to would be whether I should become a Primer. Most perspectives point to yes - I know and like the other (this year) Yr 4s, I can work with the Officers, I am more familiar with the workings of the BB, the BB is a Christian organisation, even a solid 400 hrs of CAS, etc. However, there are two main things that are making me think this over a bit more before deciding:

1. I DON'T KNOW THE SEC1s. Compared against the rest of the Yr 4s, it will be much harder for me to connect with the Yr 1s. The fact that Mr Jonathan Ng said that one of the key reasons why one might come back to serve as a Primer would be that "... you want to see the Sec 1s develop ..." or something like that. That is a good reason, but how would I know if I would want to see a group of people I don't know develop? I didn't think about this when picking Juniors >_>

2. PASSION ISSUE. Both Russell and Mr Ng have mentioned the importance of passion in coming back to serve as a Primer. This actually links quite closely to (1), because how would one have passion for a group of people he doesn't even know? Again, didn't think about this.

Hence, I have my decision-making with regard to Primers cut out for me. Still, even if I don't come back as a Primer, my 3 1/2 years in BB have been quite fulfilling, and I'll retain quite a few memories from them.

jk

No comments: