Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pragmatism and Principles

The C Math lesson today really got me thinking, but not in the usual academic maths way. Normally, if a teacher scolds our class without reason, I would (naturally) be quite pissed. However, if one does so with very valid reasons and even goes to the trouble to almost objectively qualify his scolding, I will be more than willing to accept it - and that was what essentially happened today.

With regard to the reasoning, firstly since when did we have a lot of C Math homework? I know you might say that I'm biased cause I can clear it quickly, but still. Name one of the academic subjects where we've had less work. If anything, Physics is like the only one. Lang Arts, Chem, Comp Studies, Chinese and especially A Math easily have had more; and though IHS and Geog may not seem like much, they each had one big debilitating(sp?) coursework this term, while we did our C Math coursework in school, like Sir said.

I understand that you might think that I would be biased toward Sir, but still, I'm quite sure you have to agree that his points are valid. Respect, cooperation and duty are, in my opinion, indeed integral elements of a classroom environment. With regard to the Cumulative Frequency worksheet, I have to agree with Sir that the hand-in rates are bad. (less than 75% after 3 weeks overdue-ness)

After the lesson (which was the last period for the day) a bunch of us, including me, Jarrel, XM, JX, Juzzie and Bryan went to see Sir, and it was then where we discussed some possible courses of action to take. I thought of the 'pragmatic path' independently of some of the others who suggested it - that is, just let those who aren't interested in learning do whatever they want so long as they don't distract the others. However, Sir said that he would not be able to bring himself to do such a thing, seeing as he saw it as his responsibility and duty to teach the whole class, and that leaving some stragglers would contradict his principles.

I was quite surprised and impressed at the same time. In my life, I find it very hard to even cling on to principles, rules and guidelines; yet, Sir would reject the 'pragmatic' solution simply because it contradicted his own principles.

I should admit that this also, to an extent, could show one of my own failures as an A Math subject rep. Most people in class would know by now that I'm not one who'd chase people for work. I'd just write "Assignment XXX is due today" on the board and be done with it. I'd just collect whoevers' work I got and not bother about whoevers' I didn't. Now place this in juxtaposition with what Sir has been doing...

Now, going back to the original statement. There are still some things which I do not understand very well - the bit about Sir saying "I'll give you more things to complain about. Complain that I am not teaching." etc. However, as tough as it is to admit, our class does not treat Sir (or actually pretty much most of the other teachers) well at all, and the anger would most probably have been accumulating within him, till a point where he just had to let all this anger out - and yet, it comes out with a lack of vulgarity, a lack of burning rage, a lack of forceful blast; much like a basic volcano instead - smooth, consistent without big spurts, etc.

I should also add that as a result of this, my perception of Mr Leek has, to an extent, improved actually, for if I were in his position I would pretty much confirmedly opt for the 'pragmatic' though possibly unethical and, from Sir's PoV, unprincipled solution.

jk

No comments: