Sunday, October 07, 2007

Partial Break

I haven't been able to write much recently; I've had mugging to do, unsettled, wandering thoughts and many random and non-random doubts.

I think this year, mugging withdrawal will be less harsh on me, partially because I haven't really got very much into the exam spirit this time round. I spent the afternoon playing Mountain of Faith, the 10th in the Touhou series. It's a danmaku or bullet hell game (as you may or may not know) where your character has a very small hit-box and has to weave through utter messes of bullets. One reason I like the Touhou series, other than the almost sadistic patterns, especially on the Lunatic difficulty and Extra Stage(s), is the BGM. From Mountain of Faith, the stage 4 theme - Fall of Fall ~ Autumnal Waterfall, stands out to me as having quality.

Recap of the papers. It was 0/0/2/0 after day 1.

Day 2
Core Maths 1
- There isn't really much I can say about this paper. It was fairly easy, especially the Number Patterns question (Gauss' theorem is seriously overused). I don't remember any overly difficult questions other than one nasty Coordinate Geometry one. In any case I remember getting the same answer as Isaac, Russell, Jarrel, Yifan and a few others, so it should be ok.
good/ok/bad/fail: 0/1/2/0

Physics 1 (MCQ) - Easy, though it was actually quite tricky. I checked through everything and only realised the sneaky direct current transformer question near the end. Hopefully I can do well; it seemed much easier than its Chem counterpart.
good/ok/bad/fail: 0/2/2/0

Physics 2 (OEQ) - Moderate-hard, I'd say. I lost about 5 or 6 marks already, because of the Moments question and the Electrostatics one. It still isn't too bad though.
good/ok/bad/fail: 0/3/2/0

Day 3
Language Arts 2 (Set Text)
- I picked question 1 pretty much the moment I saw it, and wrote quite crazily - and still couldn't finish. I'm a bit concerned that my essay might seem imbalanced, because I wrote a total of 9 sides leaving lines; less than 1 side of introduction, Dulce et Decorum Est till the end of side 6, Two Fusiliers from side 7 to side 9-ish and a conclusion to top it off.
good/ok/bad/fail: 0/3/3/0

Chemistry 1 (MCQ) - crazy. I wasn't sure of like 10 out of the 40 questions... studying LA may have caused me to neglect Chem to some extent. Shaun Ong and I went to the library and we met Luke there, and started studying... but we didn't realise we had to go until it was late. We went back to the BDSH and saw Ms Evelyn Tan opening the door just when we reached. o.o
good/ok/bad/fail: 0/3/4/0

Chemistry 2 (OEQ) - less crazy, just pressed for time. I had some trouble with the catalytic converter question (and B2 in general), but fortunately, with 12 minutes for both B2 and B3, I worked out B3 in less than 5 minutes, leaving me enough time to write answers for those I was sure, and cursory answers for those I wasn't so sure.
good/ok/bad/fail: 0/4/4/0

Day 4
Advanced Maths 1
- A little careless mistake caused me to drop three points; and I thought I would lose five more because I got shown someone's list of seven answers after the exam that were different; but I checked with the com when I went home and it was right. No Binomial Theorem or Matrices or RFT yet, so watch out for those in P2 tomorrow.
good/ok/bad/fail: 0/4/5/0

Geography - I remember Hsieh Wen described the mid year as a handwriting competition. This time, it seemed a bit less so, but still mostly a spamming paper. I did questions 1 and 3, though I considered doing 2 despite not studying Agriculture, because the questions were on Green Revolution and GMOs, which I sort-of knew; and furthermore, Q3 had a rather unusual case study to analyse.
good/ok/bad/fail: 0/5/5/0

Day 5
Core Maths 2
- Went quite smoothly; probably lost 1 mark on the cumulative frequency thingy (0 less than equal to x less than 10, I took it as 4.5 instead of 5 when calculating the average mean). Still, it went well...
good/ok/bad/fail: 1/5/5/0

Chinese B 1 (Set Text + Written Response) - Fun and easy. It sure gives an ego boost when you almost completely understand passages and answer MCQs on them. There were 1 or 2 I wasn't sure of, though; but hopefully I can pull a 36 / 40 for this paper...
good/ok/bad/fail: 1/6/5/0

Chinese B 2 (Compo) - BAD. It took me 20 min to choose a question, and I only wrote 2 sides (600-700ish words) and I'm not even sure if my plot is valid or not. -.-
good/ok/bad/fail: 1/6/6/0

On the whole, it's been a pretty standard performance I guess. not good, not overly bad.

i wonder if i've been living a lie
there's some hidden meaning in what you said
or maybe not. perhaps im just taking it too seriously.

jk

No comments: