Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sparks and Fires

It only takes a spark, to get a fire going;
And soon all those around, can warm up in its glowing,
That's how it is with God's love - once you've experienced it
You'll spread His love, to everyone
You'll want to pass it on...

Three main things over the past few days - Primers' Challenge, Leadership and Management Programme (LAMP) and the YDSP Science Congress. I'll mainly be talking about Primers' Challenge for tonight.

Primers' Challenge was really one of the best camps I ever went for and far exceeded my expectations. In terms of company, other than most of the 12(I) BB Boys (Shaun Lee didn't go...), I also enjoyed the company of the other Primers to quite a large extent. I managed to catch up with some friends I haven't quite had the time to talk to, like Juzzie, strengthened some of my bonds with the other Primers, notably Yi Wei and to some extent Sam Chan and Jonas, and of course found time to talk to my closer friends as well (for this trip, Russell and Hui Jun, arguably Tim Liang and Shaun Ong as well, though to a lesser extent).

Perhaps I'll do some kind of organised re-write on this.

Day 1
Lots of time spent on transportation, and perhaps playing Munchkin, Bridge or other card games on the bus. I got put in charge of the pretty nice dorm and was the key-bearer. After quite a lot of free-time, during which I witnessed the AQ people playing Texas Hold-em for push-ups, we had dinner and then set off for the Night Walk.

Night Walk was ok... a bit scary at times but quite beautiful in an abstract way. We came back and then I did a bit of follow-up with Russell with regards to the meeting we had the day before, then we had a short photo session that descended into a camwhoring session (actually, there were only 3 proper non-camwhore photos) followed by more card games and then sleep.

Day 2
The air conditioning was way too cold and I got up at 0430h. Of course there was no one out there at that time, so I did my reflections and QT after which it was about 0600. I went back to the room and started doing more writing... until suddenly I got shocked by Sam Chan asking what I was doing (it was 0645).

With regards to the activities, they were generally OK. Tent-pitching went fine, though I couldn't remember very much about how to pitch the dome tent other than assembling the poles and sticking them through the holes, and then lifting it up and sticking the ends of the poles into the ground. The cave was ok though I got rather dirty, and then we went for lunch and the 4-wheel drive.

The 4-wheel drive was one of the best parts of the camp for me - more particularly, the second run through. During the first run, I sat most of the way, however I decided to stand up for the second run for reasons I know not. Anyway, it was fun dodging the plants in the way, even when the rain became really hard, much like needles. Fortunately for me, Yi Wei was standing and dodging stuff with me, so I guess I wasn't too lonely.

The waterfall was quite nice even though the water was very cold. After taking some photos I decided to do some swimming and I guess it was fine. Not too much to say.

The second night was spent doing some preparation for the Night Special, which was to be a skit-musical of 7 minutes. It went fine. Debrief was quite interesting as I found out that I wasn't the only one making comparisons between philosophical and TOK-type ideas and the events we went through. Following that, we had to sleep early cause the next day's activities were going to be rough. At that point, I hardly knew that it wouldn't just be the official activities that were rough...

Day 3
For some reason, I kept getting up early during the Primers' Challenge. I got up at 0530 this morning, before my alarm even went off. I wasn't the only one awake - I met 1 guy in the toilet while washing up, and bumped into Russell on my way out (this was still before 6).

Playing bridge at 20 pushups per hand was asking for trouble, I think; though it worked out fine since I won all 3 hands that I played. Tai-ti at 4 pushups per card was a bad idea though since I'm generally weaker at Tai-ti than Bridge. I also remember playing Texas for push-ups as well and there was one crazy hand where we raised to 17 (we agreed on a limit of 20 per hand). I can't remember what Marc Lai had, but Bryan had a pair of Aces and I had three 10s. Suddenly Jonas flipped over his cards to reveal a flush - not something I expected, though I suspected the possibility. I only did about 25 or so for the entire session though.

White-water rafting. It was... quite ok. I guess there wasn't much "new", though it was my first time handling a 1-bladed paddle. The confidence test was relatively fun though I don't know why I was one of the first few to go for it.

Following that, paintball was ok though my group didn't have much of a strategy. I merely camped the whole way through both rounds, eventually getting shot close to the end of each round. Pretty uneventful.

The cooking "competition" was quite enjoyable though I found that I couldn't do much other than come up with weird ideas for dish names. The campfire, Night Special and final debrief was, as usual, pretty good, if a bit tiring. Xi Min's group's parody of Purple Light for the Primers' Challenge was really well done, I'd think. I was quite surprised that my group and group C (Xi Min's, Russell's and Yi Wei's) got joint top group based on the cooking and skit...

After the Night Special, I decided that I had to settle something pretty... painful with a close friend of mine. I guess I'll just leave it at that. Thanks a lot for listening. You know who you are.

Day 4
Pack up, no need to strike tents, leave. There really isn't too much for me to say with regards to Day 4. We did visit a Peanut Factory, though, at which I bought 2 packets of peanuts, and a mall at which I went to walk around, have lunch and shop with Tim Liang. Little to say, really...

I wrote some of this poem during the Primers' Challenge but decided that I'd finish it when I came home... so here's the completed version.

A Primer's Challenge
Taking this road today is by no means the easiest path.
I choose to take it now anyway, not because I need to.
It's not a blind choice, I know I can handle it.

I could just as well have waited -
for the water to fade to Level 1.
Then jumped in the raft and smoothly paddled -
To my destination, till my journey was done.

Past the river, I knew it'd be worse, though not by how much;
Rain like needles and bullets blew freely.
I did know one other thing though -
Driving through the forest that day wouldn't be easy.

For it wouldn't be simply in a protective shell -
I'd be voluntarily exposed. Open to fire;
From the plants left and right -
So why go now? Why walk this wire?

I could argue challenge - the desire to perform,
To achieve, to see our barriers undermined -
Yet what separates complete, plain blind stupidity
From making a decision that's not so blind?

Personally I believe it's resources -
In particular, relationships, making all the difference.
Looking both laterally and vertically,
I know it's these making that difference -

The last push that we sometimes all need,
Approaching our task, as Brothers and Friends;
Yet this alone can't always carry us through -
For the rest, on our God we depend.

More about LAMP when it properly ends, and YDSP tomorrow.

I wish for you my friend, this happiness that I've found
You can depend on Him, it matters not where you're bound
I'll shout it from the mountaintop, I want the world to know
The Lord of love has come to me,
I want to pass it on.

jk

No comments: